Sunday, March 15, 2009

This is the middle of March so I think I'll get current and write something about this month. We had a lot of rain yesterday, but luckily we mowed the lawn and trimmed it, and washed the car before the rain could do a "half-way" job again. I had 6 hours of church meetings today since I was able to go to my own ward before visiting the ward conference at Edgewood ward and the Spanish group. I love being a part of stake Relief Society, and when I think of the time and service our stake presidency puts in I am in awe! They are the best...and give so many wonderful, inspiring messages to bless the lives of the members here. This year we have been to all our conferences during this first three months of the year, and I have loved hearing them speak over and over again each week. The goal for our stake this year is all about "Becoming a Zion People by being unified, more holy, and giving service to the poor and needy." (From the conference talk by Elder Christofferson, Nov. 2008.) We are also receiving training on being better teachers, which is important as we can really make a difference in another's life( and our own!) through effective teaching.
I think one of the funnest things I did this week was to create a special birthday pie for one of my visiting teaching sisters. I adaated the recipe to use what I had on hand, and it was great. Here's what I did, and I just thought of it and made it and didn't go to the store: Melted together l C. evap. milk, I cup chocolate chips, 1/4 tsp. salt on stove, and cooked until thickened. Remove from heat and add l c. miniature marshmellows. Stir until melted and smooth. Cool. Pour one half into graham cracker crust. Cool in fridge. Make a package of vanilla instant pudding and pour over chocolate layer. Pour the rest of the chocolate mixture over the pudding and cool in fridge. When set top with cool whip, sliced almonds, and marachino cherries. Delicious and very pretty!
What are you doing that is green for St. Patrick's Day? Hope i can think of something... it is fun to celebrate all holidays.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think we have the BEST Stake leaders!! (you included :) )

Your pie sounds delicious. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Duree Family said...

aunt valena! how are you? Jason and I are doing well and FINALLY welcomed our sweet baby boy into our family last month! I have the whole story posted on my blog: amyduree.blogspot.com.
By the way, you are a very resourceful woman! I always forget about the linger longers at church so when I go to my pantry to find something and I don't have all the ingredients for what I want, I all but give up - usually, I resort to a box of cake or brownie mix... next time I will challenge myself to be more like you! :)